RUNNER SQUARE OF THE BANNER OF JULIUS II: THE ANNUNCIATION
Upper Rhine, 1513 Basle, Historiches Museum (1882-1892)
Height: 129 cm. Height of the detail: 43 cm. Italian white silk damask. Relief embroidery, or nue’, needle painting. Abundant use of pearls, silver-gilt sequins gold thread. Faces covered with silk and embroidered. The banner was an honorific gift from Pope Julius II to his faithful allies of Basle as a sign of his gratitude for their assistance in the capture of Pavia. On 2nd July 1512, the Council of Basle commissioned the banner in Milan and a year later ordered a copy for use from a foreign embroiderer and from the Basle Goldsmith Jorg Schweiger. His design for the silver-gilt sceptre of the angel was preserved in the Amberbach Collection and is now in the Hostorisches Museum at Basle.
Lit,: W. Schneewind, Die Waffensammlung, Schriften des Historischen Museums III, Basle 1958, p. 74 – A.B. Bruckner, Schweizer Fahnenbuch, p. 171-175, pl. 38.Source: Schuette, Marie and Sigrid Muller-Christensen: Pictorial History of Embroidery ; NY: Frederick Praeger, 1964.
Color photo credit link: Kiriel du Papillon
All copyrights to any photos or text remain the property of their respectful owners and presented here for research purposes only.