The O’Dea Mitre, ca. 1420. Made in Dublin, the name of the artist is engraved – Thomas O’Carryd, artifex faciens. The infulae or pendants appear to have suffered much as they are devoid of most of the ornaments that once adorned them. This image is the property of the Dean and Chapter of Limerick Cathedral.
Cross Orphrey with the Virgin, Saints Barbara and Dorothy and, at the sides, Saints Catherine and Ursula. Relief embroidery with gold brocade, pearls, gold thread and silk. The Child, and the faces and hands, in silk, in satin and stem stitch. Background of couched gold threads.
Source: Schuette, Marie and Sigrid Muller-Christensen: Pictorial History of Embroidery ; NY: Frederick Praeger, 1964.
THE VESTMENTS OF THE ORDER OF THE GOLDEN FLEECE
Netherlands, Brussels (?), second and third quarter of the 15th century
Vienna, Schatzkammer A complete set for a chapel:
two hangings for the altar, i.e. frontal and dossal (Frontier, Dossier).
Both 117 x 327 cm; chasuble, 147 x 131 cm; dalmatic and tuncile, both 154 x 125 cm; three large copes, each 164 x 330 cm Stout linen ground. The frames of the pictorial panels are of red velvet with gold bands. Embroidery in gold thread, pearls, topazes, sapphires. Coloured silks in a great variety of shades; red, bluish, pink, brownish red, carmine, flame red, blue in various shades, apple green shading to olive green, ochre, lilac, violet, greyish brown, and various shot tones. Or nue’; heads and hands in needle painting; split and satin stitches and couched work. Each of the panels were then sewn together and framed with the gold borders. Extraordinarily good state of preservation. The age of the work is apparent only in the occasional detachment of the embroidery from the background, some loose threads and very slight losses of pearls.
Kettil Karlsson (Vasa) (c. 1433 – 11 August 1465)
Lucas Cranach the Elder(1472–1553), Portrait of an unknown lady (formerly called ‘Sybille of cleves, wife of John Frederick of Saxony’), 1515.
Portrait of a Woman wearing the Order of the Swan
Anonymous master active at the court of Ansbach (?) c 1490, Thyssen-Bornemisza CollectionSource: the book Early German Painting 1350-1550
A 15th-century mitra preciosa that was commissioned by Pope Leo X. From the treasury of Montecassino.
Kreuzlingen – Mitra (15th century)
The monastery Kreuzlingen was founded around 1125 by the Constance Bishop Ulrich I as Augustinian Monastery. The Mitra, a magnificent goldsmith work with translucent enamels and elaborate beadwork, now in the inventory of the Historical Museum Thurgau in Frauenfeld, is so far attributed to the Abbot Erhard Lind.
Legend has it that Pope John XXIII. as a gift on the occasion of an overnight stay of the Pope and his more than 600-member allegiance in the monastery Kreuzlingen on October 27, 1414 on the way to the Constance Council to the Abbot handed over.
The Mitra is an exquisite late medieval goldsmith’s work of outstanding importance. It will be presented for the first time after the restoration in 2014 at the Constance Council outside the premises of the Historisches Museum Thurgau. In collaboration with the scientific management and textile restorers of the Abegg Foundation, the Competence Center for Textile Restoration in Riggisberg, the showpiece will be extensively examined and conserved art historically and art-technologically.
Date:1401/1500?Type:Textile ArtMaterial / Technique:green velvet; Linen; Pearl; Gold sheet; Silver plate; Edelstein; embroidered; applied
Dimensions:22.5 x 204 cm
Collection:Wienhausen, Kloster Wienhausen
Description:The crest border (14th century), which was once sewn on the upper edge
Link to this page:https://www.bildindex.de/document/obj20017930
Record of:Bildarchiv Foto Marburg
Picture: Art Institute of Chicago
Silk, warp-float faced satin weave; underlaid with linen, plain weave; embroidered with linen, silk, gilt-metal strips, and gilt-metal-strip-wrapped silk in satin and split stitches; laid work, couching, padded couching; beaded with coral beads; edged with gilt-metal strip and gilt-metal-strip-wrapped silk, twill and plain weaves; lined with silk, plain weave
113.5 x 66.8 cm (44 5/8 x 26 1/4 in.)
The Lamb of God
Southern Germany, about 1450-1470 Munich
Bayerisches Nationalmuseum (NN 1100)
Diameter: 8 cm
Red velvet with gold sequins. Relief embroidery. Linen ground with pearls.
Halo and banner in gold and silk embroidery in couched work, satin and chain stitch.
On the other side of the lid is the Veracon, in silk embroidery.